Papertowns film review

''Maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one.'' Aww, yeah, today I went to see the long-expected movie 'Pa...

''Maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one.''

Aww, yeah, today I went to see the long-expected movie 'Papertowns'! I've read the book this summer and I absolutely loved the story, so I couldn't wait to see the movie! My sister read the book as well (which I find very impressive, considering the fact my sister is ''only'' 11 years old and the book is pretty thick + it has some difficult words in it) and so we both were super excited to see how to movie would turn out. Well, I can say my sister, mom (who went with us, obviously) and I weren't disappointed at all after we had finally seen Papertowns. In this blog post I will - obviously - give you a review of the movie and I will tell you about the morals of the story and the lessons I learned from this book/movie.


I must say, my expectations were very high after seeing The Fault In Our Stars. That book and the film version of it were pretty similar to each other and the story itself is pretty intense too (and made me cry A. LOT.). I honestly don't find the book Papertowns as strong and as much as a 'tearjerker(?)' as TFIOS, but still I like the characters a lot and also the morals of the story I find pretty good. I was excited to find out that Nat Wolff (my kind-of-crush since he starred in 'The Naked Brothers band', honestly) was casted to play 'Quinten' and I was pretty curious for Cara Delevingne's (Margo Roth Spiegelman) acting skills as well. In my opinion, they both did very well. I find Nat Wolff a good actor in general and Cara totally fits the image of Margo Roth Spiegelman. In general I find the cast very good.

The producers of the movie mixed up some parts of the story and also they left a lot of things out I was excited to see in the movie. Of course there are always parts of a story that are left out when a book is turned into a film version, but I was excited to see Margo and Quinten break into SeaWorld, for example, which they didn't do in the movie.

I love the ultimate realistic sense of John Green's books and I'm sure the producers of Papertowns made sure to not leave that out this time as well (talking about TFIOS as the first time). The scenes are nicely shot and the music used in the movie, absolutely suits the story. While seeing Papertowns I found it very easy to feel empathy for the characters, which is obviously a good thing. Overall I enjoyed the movie a lot, although the ending wasn't as I expected it to be (and it sure does differ from the book) and that's all I'm going to see about the ending. Papertowns is absolutely a must say movie! :)

Note: from now on I will probably give some spoilers away, so if you haven't seen Papertowns yet, but you're planning to go see it, stop reading! Haha. If you're curious for my opinion on the morals of the story, the lessons I learned from it and them being transferred(?) into the movie, keep reading!

God, the morals in the story are amazing and honestly, I felt more goosebumps after watching the movie and thinking about these morals, than when I read the book and let the morals sink in (also because the movie has a different ending than the book - and in my opinion, the movie has a better ending). Basically, the morals of this story are the following ones (and if you have read the book or have seen the movie, you obviously know these already): the first moral that hit me is the fact that it's never good to idealize somebody. Something I seem to do all the time. As much as some person seems to be so amazing and perfect. at the end of the day, that person is still a human being just like you are yourself. Quinten has been idealizing Margo almost his whole life and in the end of the movie, Quinten finally realizes that Margo is 'just' a girl as well. She is no miracle. The second moral of the story is that 'things' (the simplest example would be stories, but you could also take... life as an example?)  don't necessarily have to end with finding love or the happy end where two people fall in love with each other and live happily ever after. Your friends can be your 'happy ending' too, which is what Quinten comes to know in the movie. The third and last moral of this story is that you must not wait when it comes to taking risks in life. Thanks to Margo, Quinten experiences the thrills life can bring you and there's one scene where Quinten thanks Margo for letting him realize that. This scene made me want to change certain things in my life and take more chances right after I walked out of the movie theater, but this movie also 'teaches' you that miracles and happiness can be found in the smallest of things. So, you don't have to marry royalty or win the lottery to be getting a miracle or a worthy life. You just have to enjoy every moment of the life you live.

I absolutely fell for Radar (one of Quinten friends). And his relationship with Angela is so cute. I liked the scene (spoiler alert!) where they had sex for the first time. His reaction and his typical grin afterwards were so cute. All the characters in this movie are good in general and have depth, which I think is very important in a movie. All in all, I liked this movie a lot. It didn't beat the Fault In The Stars for me, but the morals in this story and how they have been brought into the movie, might bring Papertowns very, very close to being absolutely amazing and almooost as good as TFIOS. Obviously I recommend this movie, but I also recommend you to read the book beforehand. Papertowns gets 4,5 stars from me (out of 5).

Thank you for reading! 

Q: are you planning to see Papertowns? And if you have already seen the movie, what are your thoughts on it?

You Might Also Like

0 reacties